You must please arrange to arrive on the day the course commences, if not, you will be charged accordingly. You will be met by a Kwa Madwala representative at either KMIA (Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport), should you fly into the region from Johannesburg, or at the Citibug Bus terminal in Nelspruit, should you choose to travel by minibus. You will then be transferred to Kwa Madwala Private Reserve and the same procedure will apply for your return voyage.
- A minimum of 5 applicants are required to run any course. Please check with us prior to booking flights if these have been secured. We offer a ‘bring-a-buddy’ discount incentive, please enquire.
- Teams will be supervised by their own trails guide/bush buddies; however Lodge facilities and meals will be combined at times with participants on other experiences and courses. Combined groups average between 10 – 25 individuals.
Skills Required/Degree of difficulty:
- Be a pioneer of change. However you also need to be reasonably fit, healthy and flexible and be prepared to get ‘stuck in’. Working in a team is a must.
- You will acquire skills that may become useful later in your life!
- Our team leaders are there to guide you through ANY unfamiliar territory, but should the project require skilled artisans, they would be employed.
The Kwa Madwala GAP Year Policy is
- Are you a motivated, determined, enthusiastic individual with tenacity and a sense of humour?
- Are you an encouraging, engaging and a contributing team player?
- Are you polite, considerate and respectful of others – participants and communities?
- Are you flexible enough to deal with unavoidable changes to plans?
- Are you prepared to work hard and get stuck into whatever needs to be done, with a positive attitude?
- Are you prepared to comply with advice on safety and customary rules?
- Are you able to party responsibly?
- Are you compassionate about wildlife conservation?
- Are you prepared to genuinely make a difference?
to the above criteria, will guarantee that your stay with us will be extraordinary
, with amazing memories
and achievements etched in your mind
Kwa Madwala is not a dedicated Ranger Training facility. Should this be your aim, we will gladly point you in the right direction. We will however, equip you with a broad knowledge of wildlife, fulfill a moral need and introduce you to a whole bunch of new friends.
Things to Bring :
- Besides your larger backpack/travel bag, you must bring a smaller carrier for week-end travel.
- Sleeping bag for camp-outs.
- Toiletries (Sunblock !)
- Comfortable boots/trainers and sandals.
- Clothing, preferably cotton, as it is suitable for summer and winter. Party kit of course. Warm jacket for cooler evenings (April – Nov). Sun hat/cap. Swimming costume and a swimming towel.
- An adaptor for shavers/hairdryers and charging cameras, mobiles, ipods etc.
- DVD’s, books etc for those odd quiet moments.
- We do go to town fortnightly, so should you have forgotten anything, it can be purchased.
- Additional costs/pocket money – Budget for approximately R550.00 per week for incidentals (internet access/telephone, shampoo, diaries, beers etc) plus additional for gifts/souvenirs etc. and optional additional tours if time allows ie. Black rhino and rare specie project (R300.00), Sudwala Caves and Dinosaur Park (R150.00), Maputo day tour (R300.00), Kaapsehoop 2 day hike – possible sightings of wild horses and the endangered blue swallow (R450.00), Badplaas camping with waterslides, go-carts and mini golf (R400.00).